Hello, I'm Gabe Mukobi! I am a digital creator who is passionate about software, game development, VR, AI, music, 3D art, and photography. At Stanford University, I'm studying computer science with a focus on AI and graphics, and I'm involved in several VR and music clubs. I aspire to create tools, media, and experiences that combine creativity with technology to uplift others and make the world a better place.
Sticks and Stones Software is a software development company founded and run by me. Come to see all of the websites, mobile apps, desktop solutions, and web projects I create!
A website for anything regarding the musical side of me. Here, you can find information about my music (including my first solo album, Anywhere But Here), my career and groups I've played with, lessons with me, and more.
Stanford University - 2018-2022
I am a student in Stanford University's Class of 2022 (current Sophomore). I'm studying Computer Science in the Artificial Intelligence Track, and I have a cumulative grade point average of 4.018. Some of my specialized courses include:
- CS 221: Artificial Intelligence: Principles and Techniques
- CS 148: Introduction to Computer Graphics and Imaging
- CS 109: Introduction to Probability for Computer Scientists
- CS 107: Computer Organization and Systems
- CS 103: Mathematical Foundations of Computing
- CS 547: Human-Computer Interaction Seminar
- CS 193A: Android Programming
- CS 106B: Programming Abstractions
- Math 51: Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus, and Modern Applications
- Music 20A: Jazz Theory
Google CSSI-Coursera Program Participant - 2018
I participated in an online program run by the Google Student Development team and powered by Coursera, including taking an online class in “Java Programming: Principles of Software Design”, technical interview prep, and collaboration with other incoming Computer Science students.
CSSI-Coursera Program Participant - 2018
Participated in an online program run by the Google Student Development team and powered by Coursera, including taking an online class in “Java Programming: Principles of Software Design”, technical interview prep, and collaboration with other incoming Computer Science students.
Camas High School - 2014-2018
I attended Camas High School in Camas, WA, from 2014-2018 and graduated in the Class of 2018 with a cumulative unweighted grade point average of 4.0.
Camas MST Magnet - 2014-2018
During high school, I was a member of the Camas High School Math Science Technology Magnet Program, a selective-admissions independent-research-based program focused on exploring math, science, and technology. I conducted research projects to try to find solutions to a diverse set of real-world problems ranging from water purity to carbon dioxide sequestration. I competed with these projects in science competitions like the Washington State Science and Engineering Fair and Imagine Tomorrow.
VRITS Programmer, Virtual Human Interaction Lab - Sept 2019-June 2020
Created virtual worlds as a Virtual Reality Intensive Training Seminar (VRITS) programmer at Stanford University’s Virtual Human Interaction Lab (VHIL). Built experiences that are actively used in research, studies, demos, and tours at VHIL to understand the dynamics and implications of interactions among people in immersive virtual reality simulations and other forms of human digital representations in media, communication systems, and games. Skills: Unity, Blender, virtual reality, OpenVR, SteamVR, C#.
Google Engineering Practicum Intern, Google Cloud Platform - June 2019-Sept 2019 - github.com/knative-portability
Developed 2 full-stack open-source applications as proof of portability for Knative, an open-source platform for serverless containerized workloads. Used software engineering skills to design and develop these apps and test them against Google Cloud Product’s implementation of Knative, Cloud Run. Skills: software engineering, full-stack web development, code review, unit testing, integration testing, test coverage, bug reporting, documentation, debugging, IDEs, command line, Unix.
Application 1 - Large Events: Platform for organizing and communicating during large events; similar to Facebook Events. Skills: Python, Flask, MongoDB, Travis-CI, Unittest, Coveralls, Gunicorn, OAuth 2.0, Google Cloud Storage, microservice-based server architecture.
Application 2 - Kubercade: Virtual arcade extending open-source implementations of classic games with social functionality like high-score boards, chat rooms, social network integration. Skills: Node.js, Express.js, TypeScript, PostgreSQL, Circle-CI, Mocha.js, Chai.js, Codecov.
Took internal classes in machine learning with TensorFlow and programming in Golang.
Freelance Web and Software Developer, Sticks and Stones Software - Sept 2017-Present
Software Engineering Intern, Portland State University, Ralf Widenhorn Lab - June 2017-August 2018
Worked as an unpaid intern at the physics lab of Ralf Widenhorn at Portland State University, contributing over 500 hours developing a new high accuracy localized positioning and motion capturing device called Pozyx and implementing it as a learning tool for hands-on college-level physics courses, as an advanced position and motion data collection device for professional athletes, and as a solution for other high precision applications. Scripting and data collection written in Python, GUI in Java with JavaFX.
Activities and Skills
Programming - software.gabrielmukobi.com
- Game Development - moderately experienced - Unity game engine, Blender, virtual reality, computer graphics, OpenGL, DirectX, OpenVR, SteamVR, Virtual Reality ToolKit.
- Machine Learning - somewhat experienced - deep neural networks, regression, classification, clustering, support vector machines, Markov decision processes, TensorFlow, Keras.
- Web development - very experienced - full-stack development, HTML5, RESTful API design, MongoDB, SQL databases, responsive design, Webpack, Babel, serverless, Knative, Docker, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Product.
- Software engineering - very experienced - code review, documentation, unit testing, integration testing, test coverage, bug reporting, CI/CD, debugging, IDEs, command line, Unix.
- Version control systems - very experienced - git, GitHub, GitLab, open-source contribution.
- Python - very experienced - TensorFlow, Keras, Flask, back-end web development, automation and scripting, RESTful API design, general programming.
- C++ - very experienced - algorithm design and implementation, OpenGL, DirectX, game/graphics programming, general programming.
- C# - moderately experienced - Unity game engine, .NET Framework, general programming.
- C - moderately experienced - low-level interaction, x86, assembly language, general programming.
- Java - moderately experienced - JavaFX GUI design and construction, Android development, general programming.
- Go - somewhat experienced - back-end development, general programming.
- Kotlin - somewhat experienced - Android development.
- PHP - somewhat experienced - back-end web development, general programming.
Music - music.gabrielmukobi.com
I am also an avid musician. I enjoy and participate in all aspects of the musical world, including playing and practicing multiple instruments, singing, songwriting, recording music, mixing and mastering songs, listening to music, and performing live for others’ listening enjoyment.
- Anywhere But Here - debut solo album, June 2018. Written, recorded, mixed, and mastered solo. Free download available and streaming on all major digital music platforms.
- Guitar - Played electric and acoustic guitar since 2009 and in the Stanford Jazz Combo program 2018-present, Simply 8 2016-2018, and the Camas High School Jazz One band 2016-2018.
- Trumpet - Played the trumpet since 2012 and in the Stanford Jazz Orchestra 2018-present.
- French horn - Played the french horn since 2012 and in the Camas High School Marching Band, Symphonic Band, Brass Choir, and Wind Ensemble 2014-2018.
- Simply 8 - Played guitar in the rock band Simply 8 from 2016-2018 - gabrielmukobi.com/Simply8Band
- Other Instruments - Also plays and records keyboards, electric bass, and midi drums.
- Music Lessons - Has taught lessons for guitar, piano, ukulele, and music theory to a diverse range of students since 2016.
- VR and Graphics - Stanford XR Social Chair 2019-present, member and developer 2018-present; Stanford SIGGRAPH Events Coordinator 2019-2020; Virtual Human Interaction Lab Virtual Reality Intensive Training Seminar Programmer 2019-2020.
- Music - Plays in the Stanford Jazz Orchestra and the Stanford Jazz Combos program 2018-present. Played in the Camas High School Marching Band, Symphonic Band, Brass Choir, and Wind Ensemble 2014-2018 and the Jazz One Band 2016-2018; elected Band President 2017-2018.
- AI - Stanford Artificial Intelligence Group member 2018-present.
- Service - Was an active member of the Camas National Honor Society 2016-2018; elected NHS historian 2017-2018.
- Implementing a High Precision Ultra-Wideband Positioning System for Kinematic Education - 2017-2018 (Paper, Poster, Pictures)
- Measuring the Effect of Symbiotic Relationships Between Various Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi and Lactuca sativa on Carbon Dioxide Uptake and Sequestration - 2015-2016 (Paper, Poster, Pictures)
- Implementing Heat Conductive Riffles to Lessen Small Scale Thermal Pollution in Developing Nations - 2015-2016 (Paper, Poster, Designs, Cost Analysis ,)
- The Measured Efficacy of Water Purification by a Graphene Sand Composite Filter - 2014-2015 (Paper, Poster 1, Poster 2)
Kasese Wildlife Conservation Awareness Organization (KWCAO) - September 2016 through Present
Volunteered an average of 4 hours per month analyzing, updating, and drafting alternative designs and layouts to the Kasese Wildlife Conservation Awareness Organization (KWCAO) website, www.kasesewildlife.org
Rise Against Hunger Food Packaging - September 2018
Joined fellow Stanford students in packaging over 60,000 meals to be shipped to schools and families in developing countries.
Camas High School Basketball Camp - Summer 2014, Summer 2015, Summer 2016
Volunteered at this basketball camp over the summer teaching children the basics of basketball and helping them have fun. Worked for Camas High School Basketball under Skyler Gillispie and Ryan Josephson.
- National Merit Scholarship Program finalist and scholarship winner - 2018
- Camas High School Pride Inside Award - Awarded 2017; Nominated 2017, 2016, 2015
- Camas High School Academic Excellence Award - English 2017, Language 2017, Biology 2016, Math 2015
- Camas Mill Town Pride Award - 2017
- College Board National AP Scholar Award - 2018
- College Board AP Scholar With Distinction Award - 2018, 2017
- College Board AP Scholar Award - 2016
- MST Magnet Best of Senior Class Award - Camas High School MST Magnet Spring Research Symposium 2018
- 1st Place, Embedded Systems - Washington State Science and Engineering Fair 2018
- Intel Excellence in Computer Science Award - SW Washington Science and Engineering Fair 2018
- The AIAA Excellence in Aeronautics Award - Washington State Science and Engineering Fair 2018
- Mu Alpha Theta National Mathematics Honor Society Award - SW Washington Science and Engineering Fair 2018
- NASA Earth System Science Award - SW Washington Science and Engineering Fair 2018
- U.S. Metric Association Best Use of SI Award - SW Washington Science and Engineering Fair 2018
- 1st Place, Plant Sciences - Washington State Science and Engineering Fair 2016
- 2nd Place, McKinstry Built Environment Challenge for Technology - Alaska Airlines Imagine Tomorrow 2016
- NASA Earth Systems Science Award - Washington State Science and Engineering Fair 2016
- 2nd Place, Material Engineering and Bioengineering - Washington State Science and Engineering Fair 2015
- Stockholm Water Award - Washington State Science and Engineering Fair 2015
- U.S. Regional Stockholm Junior Water Prize Award - Washington State Science and Engineering Fair 2015
- Wolfram Mathematica Computational Knowledge Award - Washington State Science and Engineering Fair 2015
- John Philip Sousa Band Award - Camas High School Band 2018
- Always Windy Four Years of Wind Ensemble Award - Camas High School Band 2018
- Jazzy Joe Jazz Guitar Award - Camas High School Band 2018
- Maxine LeFeber Memorial Outstanding Musician Award - 2015